Based on statistics from the Small Business Administration, The Happy Chocolatier is in the 50 percent of businesses that make it this far. Yes, half of all small start-up businesses don’t make it to year five. We are proud that our simple idea has matured into an established business in our community. It hasn’t been easy. There have been many challenges – some we should have anticipated and some we couldn’t haveNagog Park Location
imagined. We’ve reached the five year milestone thanks to the hard work and commitment of our team, continued support from family and friends, learning from all of our challenges and successes, and persistence.
It seems like we were just writing a business plan, thinking through the chocolate line and deciding on packaging. It all started with a conversation about making a cubed truffle and sharing some “chocolate happiness.”Acton Woods Plaza Location
Launching and managing a small
business has been the toughest professional challenge we’ve experienced. No longer were we focused on performance reviews and promotions to measure success. Now, continuing to pay our bills and the mortgage, while investing in a new business defined success.
We are very pleased with what our dedicated team has accomplished in five years:
- Created a new brand and built solid consumer awareness in our market area
- Opened and then moved a local retail store, and developed a local following
- Expanded our corporate gift business by providing “chocolate solutions” for business needs
- Increased the number of gift, specialty food and fine wine shops that sell our signature truffle Cubze
- Broadened our product line (and had fun doing it)
- Employed members of our area communities including over a dozen high school and college students
- Hosted fun, educational chocolate making events for moms’ nights, scouts, school groups, clubs and birthday parties
- Supported our local community through donations to: Household Goods Recycling, The Miracle League of MA, Acton Food Pantry, Beacon Santa, United Way, Girls Inc., area elementary, junior high and high schools, local houses of worship, The Discovery Museum and too many more to name.
- Created a fun video with our truffle Cubze dancing to Pharrell Williams – take a look, it’s fun!
Our competition is fierce. People can purchase chocolates at the grocery store, drug store, specialty food shop and the mall. People can also choose to buy mass produced chocolates simply because the products cost less. Yet, we are still pushing ahead. We remain focused on our mission: “To offer consumers an indulgent and affordable chocolate experience that makes them happy and enables them to pass the happiness along by sharing.”
We deeply appreciate all of our customers. We thank you for shopping locally, because it enables us to continue supporting the local community and economy. And, that makes us happy.